CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

My Least Metal Moment

I freely admit to liking all kinds of music, but once I had gotten into high school I prided myself on my love and knowledge of hard rock and heavy metal. I wore the t-shirts and the silver jewelry. For some reason my hair was more Flock of Seagulls than Dokken, but my heart was pure metal! I occasionally listened to some other stuff, including some really syrupy love songs while mooning over some stupid, evil guy that didn't deserve me, but I would never have told any of my metalhead cohorts! Now I really don't care who knows what I listen to. Supposedly I'm too old now to appreciate the harder stuff, but guess what, I'll never quit appreciating it! That music saved my life more than once and I mean that most sincerely. I'll be having them play my favorites at my funeral so I can either travel to hell in a handbasket or to rock and roll heaven hearing the best!
On our local classic rock station 103.5 The Fox, they have been playing everything in their library from A-Z. Mostly this is pretty good stuff but there are a few tunes that are laughably out of place in a rock format.
Now let us go a little further back in time.
When I was in the sixth grade, I had heard a few songs from groups like Black Sabbath thanks to my friend Mike the class "bad boy," but mostly we were listening to disco and pop. The Bay City Rollers were big back then. Most of us really liked their song "Saturday Night." It was a catchy little tune. We danced to it during free time when people would bring record albums. It was probably a pretty funny sight, a bunch of prepubescent kids hopping up and down like grasshoppers, dancing with ourselves. But we did have a good time.
Back to the present. It is 4:30 in the morning and I am at work. My job has tons of down time. I love my job! I work on my novel, my homework, and my blogs. The Fox is doing their A-Z thing. And apparently they have "Saturday Night" in their library. I'm not thinking much, just listening to the catchy little tune in my 4:30 a.m. daze and bopping along with it. Then I realize what I'm doing and have a good laugh. Hell, it's not as if I might not have done it anyway. That song is on my list of guilty pleasures. But it's certainly not even close to Metal. Probably even the Bay City Rollers' guitar strings were bubble gum!
Man, Ozzy Osbourne is rolling over in his grave right now!
Come on--you know that like Keith Richards, he's been embalmed for the last 25 years, don't you?
Next time you watch VH-1's "Least Metal Moments" special, this one will be added to it!
Peace,
Your Cheesy Middle-aged Headbanger

6 comments:

Tom & Icy said...

Did Ozzie die?

Cie Cheesemeister said...

Nah, not actually. I'm just goofing on the fact that thanks to all the drugs the poor guy's done he looks about as vital as Iron Maiden's mascot Eddie!

Tom & Icy said...

You sure know your stuff. This genre is a lot more complex and deep than I ever imagined.

Hobbes said...

I am allso way into Mettal!!! Speshaly Poison Arrow's there my favrite!!!! But I allso lissen to other band's and the Holy Rolers are one of my favrite's there!!!!!

Cie Cheesemeister said...

Dusty,
I have had Too Much Time On My Hands for a long time and spent it listening to a great variety of music!

Pansi,
Do you also enjoy Stryper perhaps? They're kind of the big-wigs of Christian heavy metal!

Rory Shock said...

what is your job ... it sounds pretty much frickin' ideal ...?